NOURISH: Vegetable Frittata with Pita Bread
A fresh recipe like this is the perfect way to usher in spring. With spinach, corn and onion, get your fill of veggies in this flavorful dish!
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 2 cups chopped bell pepper
– 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
– 1/2 cup chopped green onion
– 4 large egg whites
– 2 medium eggs
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp black pepper*
– 4 cups clean, fresh spinach
– 4 oz goat cheese
*You can substitute paprika or Aleppo pepper, a Middle Eastern flake pepper.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Coat a nonstick ovenproof pan with vegetable spray. Add the oil. Sauté the peppers 6 to 7 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the corn and the onion, sauté until cooked, and remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with the whole eggs. Add the salt and black pepper.
- Return the pan with the vegetables to the heat. Add the spinach and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and distribute the vegetables evenly.
- Place the goat cheese on the frittata and put the pan in the oven.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes, until set and golden brown. Sprinkle with more black pepper. Cut in 6 wedges and serve.
Per serving: 319 calories, 13.7 g fat, 31.1 g carbohydrates, 5.8 g fiber, 20.5 g protein